Re: [Fis] The Identity of Ethics and Integrity

From: Rafael Capurro <[email protected]>
Date: Fri 12 May 2006 - 09:38:58 CEST

Dear Gordana,

I very much agree with your that dialogue is the main issue in ethics and... morals today. Both levels are intertwinned but are not identical. At the pragmatic (political) level we need a dialogue in order to come
to "minima moralia." This is particular important in the Internet but also in other fields. I call the dialogue at the *scientific* level intercultural information ethics.
If you understand German take a look at this paper: http://www.capurro.de/parrhesia.html
where I recall Nietzsche's insight that the next age will be an age of "comparison" before we come to *universal* results. In other words, our commitment at the level of reflection should be, I believe, a patient (!) (long term) work of looking at the *surface* of existing moral systems, their differences (!) and inconsistencies prima facie similarities... If we go too fast in or striving for a (global information) ethics it is like first imaging that the earth is a smooth polished sphere as seen from very far away but as soon as you come near to it, you start considering the *real* state of the surface. This can be done at the micro-level.
Take, as an example, the intercultural discussions (Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Western...) on the concept of privacy as discussed in the journal Ethics & IT (2005) Vol. 7
http://www.springer.com/east/home/philosophy?SGWID=5-40385-70-35553605-0&referer=www.springeronline.com&referer=www.springeronline.com

The International Center for Information Ethics (ICIE) http://icie.zkm.de
will publish soon a book about intercultural and ethical views of the Internet.

kind regards

Rafael

Prof. Dr. Rafael Capurro
Hochschule der Medien (HdM) University of Applied Sciences, Wolframstr. 32, 70191 Stuttgart, Germany
Private: Redtenbacherstr. 9, 76133 Karlsruhe, Germany
E-Mail: rafael@capurro.de; capurro@hdm-stuttgart.de
Voice Stuttgart: + 49 - 711 - 25706 - 182
Voice private: + 49 - 721 - 98 22 9 - 22 (Fax: -21)
Homepage: www.capurro.de
Homepage ICIE: http://icie.zkm.de
Homepage IRIE: http://www.i-r-i-e.net