Re: [Fis] QI questions

From: Srinandan Dasmahapatra <[email protected]>
Date: Wed 17 May 2006 - 11:58:24 CEST

.... which is why quantum correlations are different. They do not
refer to correlations between ontologically prior values of
variables. For example if you know the traffic lights always come in
red, green and yellow coloured triples, finding two allows us to
infer the third colour. That is because these colours have been
admitted as ontologically prior to the observations. One cannot
extend that to quantum systems. That was the nub of Einstein's
discomfort.

Sri

On 17 May 2006, at 10:33, Michel Petitjean wrote:

> To: fis@listas.unizar.es
> Subject: Re: [Fis] QI questions
>

> OK. Similar situations may occur for ordinary correlations.
> E.g., assuming that we get a high correlation coefficient between two
> series of observations (physical phenomenons A and B), it could mean:
>
> (1) A acts on B or A is the cause of B
> (2) B acts on A or B is the cause of A
> (3) C (to be identified) acts or is the cause of both A and B.
>
> These situations may be cumulated.
>
> The situation (3) is sometimes neglected by scientists, and also
> sometimes by dishonest people willing to "prove" something.
>
> E.g. when the weather is fine (high temperatures), people drink
> more in the bar, and the time needed to dry washed clothes is
> reduced. But of course, I shall not tell to my wife that I have
> to drink more in order to get the clothes dried faster.
>
> Coming back to particles, a potential C will cause effects on
> particles
> A and B when A and B exist, although A and B are not themselves
> interacting.
>
> Michel Petitjean, Email:
> petitjean@itodys.jussieu.fr
> ITODYS (CNRS, UMR 7086) ptitjean@ccr.jussieu.fr
> 1 rue Guy de la Brosse Phone: +33 (0)1 44 27 48 57
> 75005 Paris, France. FAX : +33 (0)1 44 27 68 14
> http://petitjeanmichel.free.fr/itoweb.petitjean.html
>
> From: "Stanley N. Salthe" <ssalthe@binghamton.edu>
>>> Philosophical:
>>
>>> Could we say that the entanglement of two particles reduces to
>>> the fact
>>> that a measure done on the first particle indicates something on the
>>> second particle just because they are interacting ?
>>
>> SS: Could we say, alternatively, that entanglement means that
>> they are
>> not particles at all in this state, but just potentials within an
>> entity of
>> larger scale than particles?
>>
>> STAN

Srinandan Dasmahapatra
sd@ecs.soton.ac.uk
phone: +44(0)2380594503
Building 16 Room 1049
Science and Engineering of Natural Systems
School of Electronics of Computer Science
University of Southampton
Southampton SO17 1BJ, UK