[Fis] QI and probabilities

From: Michel Petitjean <[email protected]>
Date: Sat 27 May 2006 - 21:56:46 CEST

To: fis@listas.unizar.es
Subj: [Fis] QI and probabilities

Dear Andrei,

I cannot understand how the rule of addition of probabilities is violated.
Does it mean that when A and B are events of void intersection, the equality
P (A U B) = P(A) + P(B)
could be violated ? Or what else ?
In classical probability that may be false when the events are not defined on
the same probability space, in which case the quantity P(A)+P(B) has normally
no sense.
Are QI probabilities falling in this situation ?
The probabilities computed from two different quantum experiments should
correspond to events in a common probability space before being added
and telling that the addition lead to an unacceptable result.
What may be this common probability space here ?
Detailing your example with slits would be nice (defining the
probability space, writing the events, their probabilities,
the sum, etc..).
If such a space exists, and if the formula is violated, thus I would not
speak about a probability space in this context. And if so, what could be
the << probability >> rules indeed working in the quantum context ?

Best regards,

Michel,

Michel Petitjean, Email: petitjean@itodys.jussieu.fr
ITODYS (CNRS, UMR 7086) ptitjean@ccr.jussieu.fr
1 rue Guy de la Brosse Phone: +33 (0)1 44 27 48 57
75005 Paris, France. FAX : +33 (0)1 44 27 68 14
http://petitjeanmichel.free.fr/itoweb.petitjean.html