[Fis] quantum: transmodal difference

From: Karl Javorszky <[email protected]>
Date: Wed 31 May 2006 - 11:18:43 CEST

Friends,

There appear quite many approaches to the concept of "quantum" in this
discussion. Let me add one more, a concept from psychology.
The concept behind "quantum" appears comparable to a generalised concept of
intermodal JNDs.
A Just Noticeable Difference is a threshold between two stimuli, that just
surpasses the standard distribution of measurements, therefore can be
perceived as a difference. E.g., if one holds in one hand 20.00 kg, the JND
will be about 0.2 kg. If one holds in one hand 200 g, the JND will be around
5 g. With hearing, smelling, pressure, speed, etc., it is all the same.
The JND has a logarithmic relation to the "anchor stimulus" (detailed by the
Weber-Fechner equations).
Now, the quantum concept does remind me of a non-input-specific version of
the JND as such.
If we measure mass, the quantum is a JND. If we measure waves, the quantum
is also a JND. Turn and spin and charm and all the other measurement results
appear to be countable in differing numeric systems, like hearing and
touching use also differing referencing systems.
If the idea, that the quantum concept stands for the minimal unit of
difference between two sets of measurements, holds, then it would be easy to
translate into math.

Best luck in chasing and hunting down the quantum concept.
Karl