Re: [Fis] Bell\'s inequality: Can we find its classical analogue? Classical and Quantum waves

From: John Collier <[email protected]>
Date: Wed 31 May 2006 - 23:51:27 CEST

At 04:22 PM 5/27/2006, you wrote:

> Dear Aleks,
>
>On one hand I like very much your example and discussion, but on the
>other hand I do not think that your example can be used to illustrate
>the situation with Bell�s inequality.

On a somewhat different track, but relevant,
Nancy Cartwright was studying econometrics, and
discovered that the Bell inequalities apply to a
situation in which you have a conserved quantity,
say $10, such that the effect the probabilities
of spending $4 are changed by spending $5. Think
of spending as a measurement. In information
theoretic terms, the conserved quantity is
somehow conveyed to both arms of a quantum
measurement. In terms of conserved quantity
accounts of causation (Dowe, Salmon), this means
causal connection, though not local in this case.
It also means the same thing on my information
based approach to causation. I haven't followed
this up except in replies to emails from
colleagues about how I deal with the QM cases.
Sorry that I don't have time to say more now, as
I am preparing to go to ALife X in Bloomington.

John