[Fis] Quantum Information - Probability Functions and Information

From: Steven Ericsson Zenith <[email protected]>
Date: Fri 09 Jun 2006 - 22:01:16 CEST

Dear List,

I apologize to Andrei for not responding directly to his earlier posting
- I may yet respond to it. But the discussion here subsequently may
make an itemized response moot, and this discussion distracted me from
my particular response - partly because I wanted to see how the
discussion panned out.

I have found the discussion rather bewildering - we have returned
rapidly to the old horse in physics. So let me make a couple of simple
observations - some of which may simply repeat what others have said here.

1. Quantum probability functions are either directly equivalent to
probability functions in Shannon's information theory or they are not.
Which is it?

2. If there are new physical mechanisms discovered in quantum mechanics
then I am with Penrose - recall my earlier report of his observation
concerning cricket balls. The mechanisms must exist independent of
scale. And that implies to me that a clear mechanistic integration with
information theory is possible and required.

3. It seems to me that the problem here is the parallel postulate and
its equivalent by extension to computation. This is the reason
probabilities come into it at all. Perhaps we need to be reminded that
probabilities are the result of observations of the statistical behavior
of individuals. Individuals have an ontological status while
probability functions only have epistemological status.

4. Recurring laws of probability do appear to be stable laws, but they
are founded upon the aggregation of individual behavior. Their
ontological status is derived from the behavior of individuals, not by
their own account.

With respect,
Steven

--
Dr. Steven Ericsson Zenith
INSTITUTE for ADVANCED SCIENCE & ENGINEERING