[Fis] Probability in QI

From: Steven Ericsson Zenith <[email protected]>
Date: Wed 14 Jun 2006 - 10:57:50 CEST

Der Andrei,

Earlier you pointed out that von Neumann argued that random behavior in
Quantum Mechanics was irreducibly random, whereas randomness in the
classical world is the product of entropy. Drawing a distinction between
the nature of probability in Information theory - where it is the
measure of classical randomness - and probability in Quantum theory -
where it is the measure of Quantum "irreducible" randomness.

I do not see how this distinction is meaningful. From the point of view
of probability functions whether or not the behavior measured is the
product of one or the product of the other is irrelevant. Hence, it
seems to me, that probability in one is equivalent to probability in the
other - and Shannon's information theory applies as is to such circumstance.

Now, I would expect a response that runs along the lines that *truly*
random behavior produces results that differ markedly from randomness
that is the product of entropy in an information signal - and I wonder
first how true that can be given that the character of quantum events is
bounded and the possibilities identified i.e., quantum events have a
"signal," and second, even if it is so, I wonder if it is detectable in
any meaningful sense. I don't think it is - and so a probability
measure of quantum events - even spooky events - is exactly equivalent
to a probability measure in information theory.

Now if there are relations to consider between measures of probability,
that seems to me to be a different matter altogether.

Maybe I am not paying sufficient attention to the arguments.

With respect,
Steven

--
Dr. Steven Ericsson Zenith
INSTITUTE for ADVANCED SCIENCE & ENGINEERING