Re: [Fis] Limited info

From: Pedro Marijuan <[email protected]>
Date: Fri 23 Jun 2006 - 14:28:19 CEST

At 18:41 21/06/2006, you wrote:
>Pedro -- OK, I think I see your basic point. If so, then we do agree
>because I have concluded (tentatively) that, in the context of Universal
>disequibilibrium, the principle of least action can be explained by the
>maximum entropy production principle [e.g., the fastest action would
>require the hardest work, and the shortest path for entropic energy flows
>(heat, light, sound) would be sought in the interest of Universal
>equilibration].
>
>STAN

Maybe you are right, Stan, but my impression is that, if we are truly "a la
recherche de l'information perdue", we cannot follow that entropic path
only . Playing with the Proustian metaphor, there are two paths which have
to be intertwined: "du c�t� de chez Swann" & "le c�t� de Guermantes." The
dissipation of structures via diminishing supra-atomic distinctions & the
creation of new structures via atomic bonds implying diminishing
intra-atomic distinctions... Which path does predominate? It depends
entirely on the existing boundary conditions. That's the general trick of
life to navigate easily in both directions: a fantastic multiplication of
boundaries by way of organs, organelles, compartments, membranes, etc.

Besides, both ways of information counting are very different, the entropic
and the atomic internal energy (enthalpic), notwithstanding that Gibb's and
other free energy expressions unite them algebraically. In this sense, the
problem raised by Hans days ago, on the numbering discrepancy implicit in
Schrodinger's equation, looks a very intriguing point. As said, my hunch
concerning the informational quest for unification, is that the principle
of "least action" is more general and more easily translatable to a form
similar to "least informational description" than any acceptation derived
exclusively of the second law... and perhaps more amenable to dialog with
string theories too (which seemingly can deal with gravity and are
cosmologically and "ontologically" quite creative).

Information physics is indeed a very fundamental region within the whole
information science enterprise. If there is any possibility in the future,
we should devote a complete "real" conference or seminar to it.

At the time being, Andrei's patience should be overstretched by all this
continuous handweaving!

best regards