Re: [Fis] Realism

From: Stanley N. Salthe <[email protected]>
Date: Sun 25 Jun 2006 - 23:44:30 CEST

A brief reply to Michael -- The postmodern position on science is not that
it is all a just a somehow useful construction, but that a particular class
in a particular society / culture has chosen to confront the world in a
particular style. The point is that, however useful this has turned out to
be (for the West), it does not exhaust possible other useful discourses and
perspectives that humans might have taken with respect to the world. It is
in this largest sense that science is 'observer contingent'. Perhaps one
of the best arguments for the validity of natural science is the example of
Einstein's realization of the physical equivalence of gravitation and
acceleration. This is pure sensual guts, using the biological system to
understand the world. But -- NOTE -- it was dependent upon a technology
that designed and built elevators! This again is observer dependence.

STAN