Re: [Fis] Realism

From: Gordana Dodig-Crnkovic <[email protected]>
Date: Tue 27 Jun 2006 - 13:57:20 CEST

Dear Rafael,

I agree with you (and Kant ) - our knowledge of the universe is just a
partial knowledge. We experience the physical world with our physical
sensors, and within the conceptual framework of our (current) theories.
The same world might be for some other animal (say cephalopoda) very
much different - in terms of inputs and outputs as well as information
processing mechanisms, memory, reaction patterns... Who knows what
cephalopoda would say the "real world" looks like? Sciences (being
human) are very much defined by our own hardware and the social nature
of our (scientific) knowledge.

I suppose that majority of scientists know (and even work for and hope
for) that our current theories will be replaced by some new, different,
more general and in other respects better ones. No scientific theory is
"the definitive truth" about how things actually "really" are. They are
our best "truths" or our best conceptual tools for handling the complex
world we are part of.

You say:
/"This fundamental incoherence between our thoughts/theories and what
things *in themselves* (pace Kant) are, is what wakes us up and we
understand that we are partners with *another* and that *reality*
flourishes out of such an interactive *metabolism* even in its very
physical dimension."/
- and I agree completely.

What was called "objective" is "inter-subjective". Scientific theories
are the results of the collective effort of a scientific community
consisting in the exchange of information, experiment/theory
verification and reproduction, justification etc.

No single theory that I know can be ascribed to one human being in an
isolated direct contact with the Universe without any other qualified
humans accepting it. To my mind, science (and human knowledge in
general) is about the /interaction/ in the first place. That interaction
is the information exchange. That is why information (or computing as
information processing) is so important. That is the basic level we know
of, at which physical phenomena can be conceptualized. And that might be
considered as a reductionist view. Again, I think (grand) reductionism
is extremely good but it must eventually be combined with some kind of
constructivism, when we climb that staircase of increasing scales up again.

With best regards,
Gordana