[Fis] Realism

From: <[email protected]>
Date: Mon 03 Jul 2006 - 09:27:32 CEST

Friends,

it is completely irrelevant whether there exists an "outside" or not. We cannot decide this question, being inside our skulls, encapsulated.
What we can discuss, what kind of picture we make of this outside, the properties of which we cannot really experience, being slaves of our sensory organs and of our brains prestructured properties.
So far, we all are in agreement (within this FIS discussion, in literature, among philosophers and among common-sense people).
Now comes the clever thought:
It is not relevant how the REALITY we believe to be, what we can look at is our PICTURE OF the reality. And here one may conclude that a PICTURE of reality is better suited to picture the unknown with if it allows for some properties of the unknown to be pictured.
E.g.:
we see that Newton has PREDICTED places,
that the concept of inertia is basically a concept of PREDICTIONS,
that the layers of electron start off at 2i**2,
that genetic info transfer translates from a sequence to a commutative assembly and back,
that genetic info transfer uses 3*4 vs. 64 logical units,
and so forth, each of these properties of the unknown needing a way (method) to be PICTURED.

Whether the picture will in fact, indeed, really picture Nature or not we cannot decide, because we do not know how Nature in fact, indeed, really is. What we can say is that if we make the picture to be accomodating to the idea of PREDICTIONS, we shall be able to explain more. Maybe this explanation will be overturned later by an even better explanation, but today we have to choose between explanational systems where:
heretofore was:
objects incorporate forces, forces emanate from objects,
is now:
no forces inhabit any dead objects, objects have no forces,
but their properties can be PREDICTED.

Heretofore was:
in a logical-mathematical picture, no contradictions and no inexactitudes exist, the two sides of an "=" are really equal;
is now:
the two sides of an "=" are not quite equal, there is a slight, statistical inequality (to the tune of about 10E-95%), in our counting system we pretend an exactitude which we do not have. Our wishes have influenced our thinking. We wish that we can define something that is apart to be in one piece. We are too clever by half by DEFINING something instead of counting it.

Like dumb people who are too vain to recognise and admit their error many steps back (examples from history, business, game theory, diplomacy, psychology, etc. abound), the scientific community has also its own "inertia" (its behaviour is predictably unchanging) by insisting that it has been defined like this.

My proposal (not the first and not the last time) is that we start being subjective and not pretend we have complete understanding of how we build our picture of the world. Our wish to congratulate ourselves that we have found a way to picture Nature consistently and easily understandably appears to be more rewarding than our wish to build a more complicated picture. The inner coherence is our own urge, not a property of Nature.

So, let me repeat:
by using a too much simplified measuring-counting system, we keep using the ideas about Nature that have been evolved by the Babylonians, Egyptians, Chinese, Greek and Arab, some 3-5 thousand years ago. They lived in an experienced chaos and have built a measuring system with rigid rules, units, results, grids.
We have much less anxiety about Nature, so we may allow a picture of Nature which is more contradictory and complicated by its rules, units, results, grids, buit thereby allows recognising Nature (or at leasrt our picture of it) as consistent and whole.
If we introduce two kinds of measurements, one based on similarity, rigid neighbourhoods and unique results to operations, the other based on dissimilarity, varied neighbourhoods and most probable resulty, and use the two systems in tandem, then we can make PREDICTIONS, and this is what we do as we try to PREDICT Nature's next state, movement, behaviour.

We can do it, specifically in this chat room. There is sufficient intelligence in this room. Let us hope there is alsso sufficient courage and common sense, too.

All the best:
Karl