[Fis] Realism?

From: Michael Devereux <[email protected]>
Date: Tue 04 Jul 2006 - 06:53:18 CEST

Dear Arne and colleagues,

Ive found that it has been possible for me to write some software, for
target positioning in a proton accelerator, for example, which other
scientists who share my belief in the existence of protons and
electromagnetic accelerators, etc, continue to find useful. I think
thats the case in spite of the fact that each of us is a unique
individual with our own valuable beliefs and opinions.
I dont think that the scientific process and our shared beliefs about
the existence of a common objective reality follow from biblical
teachings in general. We know of the example of Gallileo, our first
great physicist, who was threatened with torture by the church because
he spoke plainly about his scientific observations.
It is the case that all the classical equations of motion are covariant.
By covariant we mean that the mathematical form of those equations is
identical in all reference frames. We model each observer by these
separate reference frames, whether located at a separate location or
with a distinct velocity. The equations of special and general
relativity are all covariant also. I can point to established textbooks
that will confirm this, if you like.
Cordially,

Michael Devereux