Re: [Fis] Physical Information

From: Pedro Marijuan <[email protected]>
Date: Wed 19 Jul 2006 - 13:40:36 CEST

Dear John and colleagues,

I would add a couple of motifs to your cogent reflections.

On causation, I do not quite see that the Aristotelian categories
adequately cover the "pristine" info causation we see for instance in
living beings-- as I have often argued they lack any stable form, always
engaged in creation / annihilation processes. At least, three types of info
are at work there molecularly (structural "dilute", generative
"sequential", communicational "signaling pathways"), together incessantly
handling and revamping and adapting the "form" to the environmental
demands. Perhaps as I have pointed out during recent discussions here, an
overall notion of information "as a distinction on the adjacent" might
apply to all of them. It would bring some easy-going thought about that.
About extending this vision on "info causation" towards neuronal and
social-economic realms, it does not look uncanny, particularly regarding
the adaptability of companies to the information received (and not
"forces"!) from markets. Unfortunately, staunch mechanistic visions prevail
in most of those quarters.

Thus, the strict separation of physical information from physical laws
themselves (or "informational laws" for Andrei-- which I prefer) may be
another stumbling block. I do not have any further hint about that, but I
see it as a serious problem for any information physics approach that
really attempts a renovation and a cohesion of ideas. My only guess is what
I already mentioned about elementary Planck cells in string theory and
Kalabi-Yau spaces, plus all those singularities about information recently
discussed on black holes by Hawkins, Penrose and others.

Igor's conceptual solution of information as a fundamental category is a
very interesting temptation... Maybe we should restrict our visions to
those strategic areas where un-satisfaction and unrest with
information-surrogates is a fact.

best regrds

Pedro