[Fis] breeakthru: public or private

From: <[email protected]>
Date: Tue 12 Sep 2006 - 15:59:59 CEST

Dear FIS,

now we approach the concept of information and quantum from quite many different angles. Andrei writes:
>>I am trying to sell the idea that the whole quantum enterprise is about
> >simplification of description of extremely complex physical phenomena.
> >I developed models in that the quantum probabilistic model appears as a
> >projection of more complex classical statistical model.
> >Then I proceed: Wau! In such a case it seems that quantum probability
> >theory and quantum information could be used everywhere where we could
> >not provide the complete description of phenomena and we just try to
> >create a simplified representation in complex Hilbert space.
> >So one can apply quantum information theory everywhere, from financial
> >mathematics to genetics.
As the concept of quantum is such a pervasive one, it derives surely from a quite basic concept itself.
Let me put forward the notion that the idea of a quantum represents one unit of deviation between the descriptions of the world with regard to the similarities vs. a description of the world with regard to the dissimilarities.
This is such a fundamental thought that it does indeed need some getting used to.
In a writeup about the origins of counting I narrate a tribe of homo sapiens that discovers counting. They made use of the similarity property of mammuts and of fingers so that they created the concept of unit.
The difference - inexactitude - between the two ways of enumerating the mammuts and the fingers is indeed extremely small but does have an expected extent, statistically. This extent can come about in quite many forms and ways. It appears that applied science calls this "a quantum".
As to Pedro:
dear Pedro, please allow me to add to your statement:
> --none of the current approaches has achieved a breakthrough yet, so the
> need for our exchange of views!
that the approach re similarity-dissimilarity does explain quite many natural constants and ordering principles, so it is only in a social sense that a breakthrough is yet to diffuse outside FIS.
Within FIS, I believe, there is an emerging consensus that there might be something true about additions being more complicated than at first meets the eye.

In this sense, I too look forward this year's discussions.
Karl