[Fis] Re: Concluding reply: social construction of human knowledge

From: Pedro Marijuan <[email protected]>
Date: Tue 26 Sep 2006 - 18:05:29 CEST

Dear Andrei and FIS colleagues,

Your expression, days ago, about "information transformers" is very
suggestive in the sense that it highlights far better than other terms
(e.g., proposed by complexity theoreticians: "information gatherers" &
"information users") what happens, say, to an informational entity coupled
to its open-ended environment. What happens is not a computation, or any
information processing event: it is closer to the discussion of abduction
we had in this list a couple of years ago -- I have also used
the "processual" embedded rather than the disembodied "processing", as the
info transformation is irreducibly tied to the advancement of a life cycle.

Relating this to objectivity of informational laws looks adventurous, but
maybe OK. We converge on informational capabilities of photons, by
theoretical tools, by optical instruments, by our photoreceptors ---like
other opsin pigments of vertebrate eyes, and like bacterium's
"bacteriorhodopsin."

(The little problem in my view is that in the two previous paragraphs there
are at least three or four different usages of "information" conflated!)

Anyhow, bacteria has around several million bases of structural information
to "couple" to its environment and act as an "information transformer". A
rudimentary social animal (insects) has around the same number of neurons
to act as a new type of "info trans." Let us get ahead to big brained human
individuals in a society, or to scientists socially coupled amidst the
practise of a scientific discipline. Each one cuts but a fine slice of its
open ended environment... And also to the level of the basic quantum grain
at the Planck scale? Therein, the global informational limitation regarding
the "distinction on the adjacent" capabilities has been disciplinarily
couched under conservation of energy and uncertainty principles. Let me
wonder whether Koichiro's approach to time out from energy conservation may
be one of the few ways to advance towards a "bit accounting" of the quantum
possibilities in its coupling to the infinite environment...

Sorry for having put together all these top-of-the-head, nonsense comments!

Pedro