RE: [FIS] Re: Concluding replies

From: Loet Leydesdorff <[email protected]>
Date: Fri 06 Oct 2006 - 11:26:06 CEST

Dear Stan,

There is a beautiful study by Floris Cohen [Cohen, H. F. (1984). Quantifying
Music. Dordrecht, etc.: Reidel] in which he shows how during the 17th
century gradually the appreciation of the minor seventh changed in both
theory (Huygens) and practice (Monteverdi). While this was first considered
as a dissonant, people began to consider it as a consonant.

Levi-Strauss, of course, is the author who convincingly made this argument
for any of the other senses (La pensee sauvage). This is not to deny that
the biological mediation may also play a role.

With best wishes,

Loet

  _____

Loet Leydesdorff
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
 <mailto:loet@leydesdorff.net> loet@leydesdorff.net ;
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/> http://www.leydesdorff.net/

Now available:
<http://www.universal-publishers.com/book.php?method=ISBN&book=1581129378>
The Knowledge-Based Economy: Modeled, Measured, Simulated. 385 pp.; US$
18.95
 <http://www.universal-publishers.com/book.php?method=ISBN&book=1581126956>
The Self-Organization of the Knowledge-Based Society;
<http://www.universal-publishers.com/book.php?method=ISBN&book=1581126816>
The Challenge of Scientometrics