[Fis] Post-concluding remarks:Realism/anturealism: Laws of nature?

From: Andrei Khrennikov <[email protected]>
Date: Thu 26 Oct 2006 - 07:27:41 CEST

        Dear Collegues,

Thank you for intensive reply to concluding part of our discussion on
classical and quantum information which was finally transformed in
essentially more general discussion on meaning of information and
realist\'s dilemma. Finally, after reading all replies, I am not sure
that there is really consensus. I still stay on the position that there
is objective reality that exists independently on our existence and our
ability to understand it or to be more precise -- to describe it, in
sence to create a detailed model.

Yes, I agree that we would be never
able to create a complete model. Any model that we create or will
create provides just an approximation. Classical statistical mechanics
was approximation. I believe that (in spite claims of Bohr, Heisenberg,
Pauli, Fock, Landau, von Neumann and 99% of modern physicisists) that
QM is incomplete as well (as Einstein and Schrodinger as well as Bohm
and Bell were sure). It is also an approximation. This approximation is
very good so we are not able yet to see violations of predictions of
QM, see my recent papers at quant, www.arXiv.org.

But this is our problem and not the problem of reality.

If we follow the line of Arne of realism/antirealism, then what should
we say about LAWS OF NATURE? I think that we would come to the
conclusion that there is no such laws at all. Such a conclusion is not
astonishing in the light of modern views to QM. Since QM (by the
conventional Copenhagen interpretation) declared the death of
determinism (and not because our impossibility to find such
deterministic dynamics, but because quantum randomness is irredusible),
it seems that at the quantum level we are not able to consider physical
laws. We are able only to find some statistical correlations.

I think that this is totally wrong position. As Newton was, I am also
surprised by harmony and consistence in Nature. It could not be just a
product of our social agreement. Well, finally Newton came to the idea
of God who was responsible for this harmony.

Finally, about reality of mental processes and reality of information.
Shortly my position is that real world is not world of material objects.
The latter is simply a shadow of huge information world. And laws of
Nature are laws of informational dynamics. The latter is indepent form
its possible representations, e.g., from teh material one.

Of course, the main problem is as Soren Brier emphasized that we do not
have at the moment the real understanding of information. It is always
reduced to the definition of probability, through entropy.

With Best Regards,

Andrei Khrennikov

Director of International Center for Mathematical Modeling in Physics,
Engineering, Economy and Cognitive Sc.,
University of Vaxjo, Sweden