Re: [Fis] Post-concluding remarks:Realism/anturealism: Laws of nature?

From: Robert Ulanowicz <[email protected]>
Date: Thu 26 Oct 2006 - 16:16:45 CEST

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006, Andrei Khrennikov wrote:

> If we follow the line of Arne of realism/antirealism, then what should
> we say about LAWS OF NATURE? I think that we would come to the
> conclusion that there is no such laws at all. Such a conclusion is not
> astonishing in the light of modern views to QM. Since QM (by the
> conventional Copenhagen interpretation) declared the death of
> determinism (and not because our impossibility to find such
> deterministic dynamics, but because quantum randomness is irredusible),
> it seems that at the quantum level we are not able to consider physical
> laws. We are able only to find some statistical correlations.
>
> I think that this is totally wrong position. As Newton was, I am also
> surprised by harmony and consistence in Nature. It could not be just a
> product of our social agreement. Well, finally Newton came to the idea
> of God who was responsible for this harmony.

Dear Andrei:

Like Walter Elsasser, I believe there are no laws for biology in the same
sense as the laws of physics.

Yes, I agree there is regularity and order in the biological world.

Whence the order? Processes, not law.

For further details, please see:

<http://www.cbl.umces.edu/~ulan/ISEPP.DOC>

The best,
Bob

Robert E. Ulanowicz | Tel: (410) 326-7266
Chesapeake Biological Laboratory | FAX: (410) 326-7378
P.O. Box 38 | Email <ulan@cbl.umces.edu>
1 Williams Street | Web <http://www.cbl.umces.edu/~ulan>
Solomons, MD 20688-0038 |