RE: [Fis] Biological Laws

From: Richard Emery <[email protected]>
Date: Thu 26 Oct 2006 - 21:48:57 CEST

To Guy and Bob (Hi, Bob!):

Just off hand, I can think of three biological "laws" worth
mentioning here:

1. Cope's Law�"Structurally ordained biases of speciation away from a
lower size limit occupied by founding members of the clade, rather
than adaptive anagenesis towards organismal benefits of large
size" (Gould, 2002), which is to say that a clade's body size will
increase naturally with increasing speciation activity. This "law"
might be construed as equivalent to the Second Law, wherein entropy
must increase with more thermodynamic activity. In my own (perverse)
imagination, I might even say that Cope's Law could be equivalent to
Bob U's "ascendency hypothesis," referring to flow bits of carbon
(information) in ecological networks (Bob, am I off the mark here?).

2. Hardy-Weinberg Equilibrium�a stochastic "law" (model) that
predicts the distribution of alleles p and q in a population:

p^2 + 2pq + q^2 = 1.

3. Haeckel's Biogenetic Law (now largely defunct)�this "law" captured
what was understood to be "ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny." Some
biologists still subscribe to this law, giving extended life to ORP.
Personally, I think the "developmental plasticity" (homoplasy) folks
are still trying to bring back Haeckel's Law to some degree in order
to refute Gould's "deep homology."

Best regards, Richard

Hi Bob,

I doubt we disagree in substance here, but I would take issue with the
statement that "there are no laws for biology in the same sense as
the laws
of physics", because I think the laws of physics apply in all
realms. In
other words, the laws of physics are not limited to physics in an
exclusionary way, because all other disciplines exist within the
bounds of
physics. Therefore, the laws of physics are also laws of biology to me.
After picking this nit, I would agree that there are no additional,
proprietary laws of this sort within biology that do not extend to
non-biological physical systems.

Cheers,

Guy Hoelzer