RE: [FIS] General remark

From: Loet Leydesdorff <[email protected]>
Date: Fri 27 Oct 2006 - 19:17:38 CEST

And to reiterate again. We are talking about information as a concept, or as
a variable? If we talk variable, we should be aware of the above listed
limitations. If we talk concept, than Shannon-Boltzmann is a
misunderstanding, in the same way, as the object as a whole and the mass of
an object (in kilograms) are not the same.

We can consider a concept as a variable which is measured at the nominal
level, that is, in terms of descriptors. The advantage of Shannon's (not
Boltzmann's) definition seems to me that it formalizes information as a
variable. It can be provided with meaning, namely: uncertainty. However,
this meaning is not yet substantive like the information impact of a
meaningful information on the stock exchange. Meaning can only be provided
to the Shannon-type information by a system.

With best wishes,

Loet
  _____

Loet Leydesdorff
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
 <mailto:loet@leydesdorff.net> loet@leydesdorff.net ;
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/> http://www.leydesdorff.net/

Now available:
<http://www.universal-publishers.com/book.php?method=ISBN&book=1581129378>
The Knowledge-Based Economy: Modeled, Measured, Simulated. 385 pp.; US$
18.95
 <http://www.universal-publishers.com/book.php?method=ISBN&book=1581126956>
The Self-Organization of the Knowledge-Based Society;
<http://www.universal-publishers.com/book.php?method=ISBN&book=1581126816>
The Challenge of Scientometrics