Re: [FIS] General remark

From: Igor Rojdestvenski <[email protected]>
Date: Sat 28 Oct 2006 - 09:17:36 CEST

We cannot consider a concept as a variable. Simply because a concept is not measured in bits, grams, joules, etc. And a variable always is.

We may, instead, associate variables with a concept, these variables describing certain measurable aspects of a concept. Similarly to the concept of matter, the variables for which represent mass, density, structural parameters, etc, etc.

This is the key point, in my opinion. Information is a concept. And what we call information in Shannon's definition is, in fact, a variable associated with the concept of information. One of many possible variables.

Igor