Re: [Fis] genetics: the most outstanding problem, SOLVED

From: Guy A Hoelzer <[email protected]>
Date: Wed 08 Nov 2006 - 18:59:15 CET

Dear Arne,

I count myself as a realist and, to paraphrase your statement, I see any
reason in what you wrote to convert me. Your points about limitations and
biases of the mind regarding our understanding of reality are good ones, and
I think it is important for realists to keep these cautions in mind.
However, your position seems to be that the one thing we can know exists is
the mind itself. I see this as a useful proposition in the scientific study
of brain function and mental phenomena, but I don't see how it can permit
science to study anything else. If we don't start with the premise that
there is a reality to study, and which can be understood in some way, it
would seem that science (other than a science of mind) would have no
validity. In my view, science has demonstrated plenty of validity (e.g.,
modern technology), and I don't see how this could have been achieved if a
coherent reality did not exist or if science was not sufficiently effective
at revealing aspects of reality. Therefore, I think that the realists
perspective has proven itself. Nevertheless, it will be interesting to
learn about the ways our minds can mislead us within the context of science.
It would be even more fantastic to learn about particular limitations of our
minds that might prevent us from understanding aspects of reality that might
exist, if it is possible to learn such a thing.

Regards,

Guy Hoelzer