[Fis] genetics: the most outstanding problem, (un)SOLVED?

From: Jerry LR Chandler <[email protected]>
Date: Wed 08 Nov 2006 - 22:25:48 CET

Karl:

I fear that I must once again disagree with your strong conclusions
about the relations between mathematics and genetics. I would urge
you to attempt to find exact correspondence relations between
empirical evidence and your views of models based on numbers.

> From: "Karl Javorszky" <karl.javorszky@chello.at>
> Date: November 7, 2006 10:04:13 AM EST
> To: "'Stanley N. Salthe \(by way of Pedro
> Marijuan<marijuan@unizar.es>\)'" <ssalthe@binghamton.edu>,
> <fis@listas.unizar.es>
> Subject: [Fis] genetics: the most outstanding problem, SOLVED
>

> Dear Stan,
>
> In your last posting, you said:
>> SS: Of course, the origin of the genetic system is arguably
>> the most
>> outstanding problem facing natural science. It seems that, other
>> than the
>> (to me) unconvincing RNA World idea, there is no compelling model
>> of it.
>
> The model that the RNA (together with the DNA) is a sequence and
> that the
> genetic mechanism copies the information from a sequence (the dna/
> rna) into
> a nonsequenced assembly (the living organism) and from there (by
> means of
> the ovaries and the testes) back into a sequence is a quite compelling
> model.
>
> The term "information" has been shown in this chatroom to mean the
> cuts that
> segregate, separate and distinguish summands;
> The term "sequence" has been defined by Peano;
> The term "nonsequenced /=commutative/assembly" is indeed hairy, as
> there
> exists no definition for multidimensional partitions, although this
> is what
> it means;
> The term "copies" means a filter restriction on a set of entries
> into a
> database (a restricted, in optimal case, bijective map between two
> enumerations).

I certainly will not support this view of the relationships among
numbers, genetics and information.
I find your post to be outside the scope of the standard theories of
biochemistry and genetics.

Chemical information is grounded in the list of chemical elements and
the relations among them.
The terms "DNA" and "RNA" etc, are chemical names of specific
relationally rich bio-molecules.
The information content of chemical molecules must be expressed in
terms of atomic numbers and relations among the electrical particles
(graphs).
Biological information emerges as flows of changes of chemical
relations - metabolic dynamics.

In general, chemical structures / information does support transitive
relations among the atomic numbers organized into graphs.

Thus, if one wishes to develop a compelling argument about chemical
numbers and structures and genetic information, one should start
with relational algebras that keep track of changes of relations.

Bijective maps are not a suitable basis for describing change of
chemical relations and hence the flow on biological information.

Finally, if one wishes to describe a mathematics of biological
information, the suitable starting point is the fact that a single
position in a DNA sequence can control the fate of the entire
organism. A living system is a society of associative relations
among atomic numbers.

Cheers

Jerry