Re: [Fis] genetics: the most outstanding problem, (un)SOLVED?

From: Richard Emery <[email protected]>
Date: Sun 12 Nov 2006 - 20:09:13 CET

Jerry,

You wrote:

> Biological information emerges as flows of changes of chemical
> relations - metabolic dynamics.

By what principle does this emergent property you describe adopt a
specifically digital language to manage those analogously chemical
affairs of biological systems? To recognize such an emergent
property I would have to agree to a few brave assumptions. One would
be that biological systems, comprising hierarchical atoms and
molecules, are just naturally capable of writing their own
operational programs. That's a reach for me, because nothing is
explained. Even though I am aware that organisms do exactly that,
there are no principles I know of to support it. HOW they do it (not
WHY they do it) is the key issue for me. How do analogs write their
own digital scripts? One again, the only other time in natural
history that I know of this sort of thing happening was when human
analogs wrote their own digitally symbolic language about 10,000
years ago.

As Stan has said:

> Of course, the origin of the genetic system is arguably the most
> outstanding problem facing natural science.

  And you go on to say:

> Thus, if one wishes to develop a compelling argument about chemical
> numbers and structures and genetic information, one should start
> with relational algebras that keep track of changes of relations...
> A living system is a society of associative relations among atomic
> numbers.

If an emergent property truly emerges in nature I think it ought to
do so on first principles. Still, to argue that "biological
information emerges as flows of changes..." interests me. Seems a
little like a DC electrical system�something new for me to worry
about. But how did those upstart crystalline micelles, containing
numerical/chemical relations, learn algebra well enough to enable the
emergence of a genetic code? How did such a uniquely non-analogous
language for communicating pure digital information in biological
systems come into existence?

Maybe this emergent property cannot be explained in hierarchical
terms applying to a single universe. Maybe the emergent property
Jerry speaks of is evidence of another universe, a coincidental one,
where digits rule and analogs are the exception. Yes, it's a wild
idea. But I don't think there is enough hierarchy in this pedestrian
universe of ours to get us the principles we need to explain what
biological life actually is and where it came from.

Best regards, Richard