Re: [Fis] Re: request - Biological Computing

From: Richard Emery <[email protected]>
Date: Wed 22 Nov 2006 - 19:17:30 CET

FISers,

Jerry Chandler has said of me:

"As I read your post, you seem to be involved with an internal debate
with yourself."

Stan, too, has patiently persuaded me toward accepting a hierarchical
infostructure in living systems.

I am now more inclined to agree with them. I seem to be operating in
a closet on this issue of "biological hierarchy." I have been
opposed to it for one simplistic reason�"downward causation." This,
to me, in my naive way of fumbling with the concept, has suspiciously
spiritual implications. But then today I am gratefully blind-sided
and humbled by John Collier's post (below) that introduces far much
more fresh thinking on these matters of hierarchy and downward
causation than I had ever imagined. So I have downloaded many of
John's papers on these subjects, noticing that Stan Salthe is cited
in them. I need to read more of his stuff, too. (These guys are
heavyweights and I'm Peewee Herman!) I intend to become educated in
this field that I really know nothing about. After that I may have
something more relevant and useful to say about hierarchy and
biological evolution. There seems to be more emergent properties in
biological systems than I previously recognized. Time to read more
and say less.

Best regards, Richard