Re: [Fis] Joseph Tainter's Social and Cultural Complexity

From: Stanley N. Salthe <[email protected]>
Date: Sat 16 Dec 2006 - 00:18:04 CET

Using my last posting for the week, I will support Guy's posting below: As
I pointed out in my 1985 book on scale/compositional hierarchically
organized systems, the fact that different levels cannot dynamically
interact (must be separated by order of magnitude differences if they ARE
to be separated) means that we cannot sum informational constraints across
levels. Information at any level is 'incommensurable' with information at
any other level(cells could not 'understand' molecular talk!), and so one
cannot evaluate one level as more complex than another. The whole system
of levels is, however, seen to be complex (I call it 'extensional
complexity') by most commentators.

STAN