[Fis] Re: Continuing Discussion of Social and Cultural Complexity

From: Pedro Marijuan <[email protected]>
Date: Wed 31 Jan 2007 - 14:04:09 CET

Dear Joe and colleagues,

Thanks for the new angle. The problem on how to ascribe complexity looks
quite "complex" in itself... It connects with the aspect of
decomposability in parts / components of entities which surfaced last month
(when arguing on the "human factor"). For obscure reasons, maybe connected
with the philosophical and methodological dominance of reductionism, we
have not assimilated yet that informationally "open systems" (or entities)
cannot be treated in isolation neither of their boundary conditions, nor of
their intrinsic activity. The brain itself is an excellent case in point.
Depending on both external boundaries and inner propensities it is not
complex nor simple: it depends. (Thus I agree with the comments below).
However, it should not be read as an argument in defense of relativism or
radical perspectivism. Rather it means that informationally open entities
cannot be treated cavalierly in the same way than mechanical, closed
entities ... they are structured in a different, strange way. Perhaps this
type of proper, general treatment should be, in other words, the "info
sci. methodology", the so much looked after "sci. of open systems."

regards,

Pedro