Re: [Fis] Re: Continuing Discussion of Social and Cultural Complexity

From: Igor Matutinovic <[email protected]>
Date: Fri 02 Feb 2007 - 14:07:59 CET

Dear All

I agree with Pedro's perspective, it looks very reasonable from the
standpoint of social sciences.

I would like to put a question to Joe and other colleagues regarding the
constraints of managing social complexity (whatever, objective or
perceived). Humanity has reached a high historical degree of
interconnectance, where we exchange material (products), energy, and
information over a variety of different pathways and across the globe. At
the same time we have been introducing new chemical compounds, new
materials (e.g. nanotechnology) and even new species in the natural and
human environment. This at a pace which is likely to favor unintended
consequences. New institutions (rules, habits, organizations) emerge to
deal with the "complexity" of these overlapping networks of communication
and material exchange. These come at a cost for a society, a cost which is
not only monetary or material but also taxes our ability to deal with the
overwhelming information that is produced in the process. In a way we tend
to produce "complexity" and respond to its challenges by introducing more
"complexity". Joe emphasized in his work the importance of diminishing
returns to complexity in problem solving.

Considering that we necessarily operate under certain genetic constraints,
are there (absolute) upper limits to our ability to manage social complexity?
I guess that there are also cultural constraints involved here, and that
these can be stretched to some limit, but eventually, a threshold is
reached where the culture may not be stretched beyond our biological
underpinnings.

The best
Igor

----- Original Message ----- From: "Pedro Marijuan" <marijuan@unizar.es>