Re: [Fis] Re: Continuing Discussion of Social and Cultural Complexity

From: Steven Ericsson-Zenith <[email protected]>
Date: Fri 02 Feb 2007 - 22:26:28 CET

Interesting comments. I basically agree with Loet - the biological
metaphor is the wrong starting point.

However, when Loet says

>> ..is constrained by the room of individuals to experience and
>> phantasize. This is no biological, but a psychological constrain.

This does not appear to be a psychological constraint but an
environmental constraint.

I am also unclear about Loet's distinction between information and
meaning. So let me interpret in my terms.

As Loet describes meaning it appears to have a zero impact upon the
world.

Recall that my definition of knowledge is it that which determines
subsequent action (I discovered recently that this is consistent with
Varela) and information is that which identifies cause and adds to
knowledge. Meaning is then either an unnecessary term or it is a
function of knowledge (which is my preference).

I don't really know what Loet means by "meaning is provided from the
perspective of insight." I think we agree however: for meaning to
have an impact upon the world as a function of knowledge it must also
be a source of information in my model.

With respect,
Steven

--
Dr. Steven Ericsson-Zenith
Institute for Advanced Science & Engineering