RE: [Fis] Re: fis Digest, Vol 501, Issue 5

From: Loet Leydesdorff <[email protected]>
Date: Wed 07 Feb 2007 - 13:20:26 CET

   What is more, even atoms and molecules directly participate in inductive
processes. When two hydrogen atoms form a hydrogen molecule in an empirical
arena, no computation for getting a hydrogen molecule can stop insofar as
one sticks to the axiomatic formalism preserving the hydrogen atom as an
nonnegotiable element. This has been my entry to approaching Jerry
Chandler's chemical logic.

Dear Koichiro,

That is precisely the point: we are able to negotiate about our identity in
a way that hydrogen atoms are not. Thus, for example, we can enter in a
gay-marriage or we can even reconstruct our sexuality by surgical
intervention. The social system (represented here by the legislator or the
surgeon) is much more powerful than the naturally given ones in
reconstructing its environments.

Thus, we are able to learn by induction, but also to revise the rules from
the perspective of hindsight, for example, on analytical grounds. I don't
think that atom have much room for the analysis.

With best wishes,

Loet
  _____

Loet Leydesdorff
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
 <mailto:loet@leydesdorff.net> loet@leydesdorff.net ;
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/> http://www.leydesdorff.net/

Now available:
<http://www.universal-publishers.com/book.php?method=ISBN&book=1581129378>
The Knowledge-Based Economy: Modeled, Measured, Simulated. 385 pp.; US$
18.95
 <http://www.universal-publishers.com/book.php?method=ISBN&book=1581126956>
The Self-Organization of the Knowledge-Based Society;
<http://www.universal-publishers.com/book.php?method=ISBN&book=1581126816>
The Challenge of Scientometrics