RE: [Fis] Continuing Discussion of Social and Cultural Complexity

From: Loet Leydesdorff <[email protected]>
Date: Thu 15 Feb 2007 - 11:31:33 CET

Yes, politicians steer on the institutional constraints of the
self-organizing system. The center of control is dynamic and potentially
responsive to the steering. Thus, the steering of a complex and adaptive
system mainly generates "unintended consequences".

The function of politics, therefore, has changed. It is mainly propelling
itself as a political discourse which disturbs other subsystems of society,
both in terms of setting conditions and as legitimation. For example,
politicians try to be on television in order to legitimate their functions.
The political system can only gain in steering power by being more reflexive
about its functions.

With best wishes,

Loet

  _____

Loet Leydesdorff
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
 <mailto:loet@leydesdorff.net> loet@leydesdorff.net ;
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/> http://www.leydesdorff.net/

  _____