RE: [Fis] Continuing Discussion of Social and Cultural Complexity

From: Loet Leydesdorff <[email protected]>
Date: Mon 19 Feb 2007 - 10:41:32 CET

Yes, Igor, I agree that we participate in two layers and with different
capacities to differentiate (e.g., rationally). Our (and the politicians')
reflexive capacities to communicate with a double (or even more complex)
hermeneutics are limiting the capacity of the social system to process
complexity. The remaining uncertainty will remain unresolved, and thus the
system of inter-human communications is failure-prone. One can expect it to
produce unintended consequences.

I don't share your optimism about experts who would be able to leave this
human condition behind them. It is like Marx's dream of a state of freedom.
:-)

With best wishes,

Loet

  _____

Loet Leydesdorff
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
 <mailto:loet@leydesdorff.net> loet@leydesdorff.net ;
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/> http://www.leydesdorff.net/

  _____