Re: [Fis] Continuing Discussion of Social and Cultural Complexity

From: Guy A Hoelzer <[email protected]>
Date: Tue 27 Feb 2007 - 20:29:52 CET

Greetings,

I agree with Loet and Pedro that it seems important to distinguish between
environmental constraints (including material constraints emanating from the
qualities of components of a system) and self-imposed limitations associated
with the particular path taken as a dynamical system unfolds through time.
In other words, I see some information being generated by the dynamics of a
system, much of which can emerge from the interaction between a system and
the constraints of it's environment. I have come to this view largely by
considering the process of biological development. For example, I have come
to the conclusion that the genome is far from a blueprint of a phenotype,
although it is more than a static list of building parts. I see the genome
as containing a small fraction of the information ultimately represented by
an adult organism, and I think that most of that information is generated
internally to the system as a consequence of the interaction between the
genome and its environment.

Regards,

Guy