RE: [Fis] Continuing Discussion of Social and Cultural Complexity

From: Loet Leydesdorff <[email protected]>
Date: Mon 05 Mar 2007 - 08:22:44 CET

> It is indeed tempting to suppose that, in the philosophical
> perspective, the object of human economies is to produce entropy!
>
> STAN

Yes: because the economy is equilibrating. Innovations upset the tendency
towards equilibrium (Schumpeter) and thus induce cycles into the economy.
This is the very subject of evolutionary economics.

Marx's problem was that the cycles cannot be stopped and have a tendency to
become self-reinforcing. However, the modern state adds the institutional
mechanism as another subdynamics. I am sometimes using the metaphor of a
triple helix among these three difference subsystems of communication and
control: economic equilibration, institutional regulation, and innovation.

A triple helix unlike a double one cannot be expected to stabilize (in a
coevolution), but remains meta-stable with possible globalization. I suppose
that this has happened.

With best wishes,

Loet